Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Awakening 21...Never thought I could do it!

We are almost halfway through our 21 day fast so I felt it was time to share some of the things that God has done in me during this time. Let me get this out there....I AM A HORRIBLE FASTER! God is so good! I began to pray about this fast months ago when Ed first presented it to our church. I wanted to hear what kind of fast He wanted me to do. I felt it was a Daniel fast. Ed shared with me a few days later that God had spoken to him to do that fast also. I was thinking to myself "Thank you Jesus, because it was going to be super hard if he was going to be fasting sports or tv and could eat everything in front of me!"
The week before the fast you would have thought I was on death row. All I could think about were my last meals. I can tell you that I had no focus on God that week! I realized I am a food addict for sure. I guess all of the Weight Watchers meetings I've been to had not revealed that to me yet.
We started the fast on Sunday and left for Colorado that day to visit Ed's family. Side note: last summer while we were there I fasted one day as I was getting ready for a mission trip and had called a one day a week fast until we left for our trip. I had already had to explain to the kids of the family about this. Now we are back and fasting again! I know they must think we are religious nuts, but the fact is I avoid fasting almost at any cost!
Now on to the great part...Ed had explained to our church that fasting was just pushing the reset button on our spiritual lives and it has done that for me big time. The food part has been easy, I am loving getting my focus off of things that don't really matter and putting my focus where it belongs. I don't care that my house doesn't look perfect, that all of my laundry isn't done, that my guests are not having a five course meal when they come or that I havn't been able to sleep late. I havn't missed my tv shows at all or felt the need to just mindlessly crash at the end of the day from exhaustion. I feel exilerated, refreshed, encouraged and I have a great anticipation of what God is doing!
There is a new level of excitement at church, a lightness and I am loving it! It is so fun doing this together with my church family and thousands around the world. There is more info and resources at www.awake21.org
One thing that is standing out to me right now is: When I make room for God He will step into that space. I'm realizing that there are a ton of spaces in my life that need to be filled with Him. I am getting rid of the business of my life and God is removing some for me! For the last 3 years I have been in charge of the yearly auction for the Boy's and Girl's club, this year I had to miss a meeting and they moved me to decorations which will take very little time and is more in my giftings! I can't wait to see what God will do with the space that I open up to him.
There have been challenges for sure, opportunities to get distracted with things that don't really matter, opportunities for fear to come in, like on day 1 when we were flying out in a horrible wind storm! I am not going to be distracted, I am growing and I love seeing others around me grow.
I believe that this is going to be one of the best years of my life to this point. We have 2 new grandbabies on the way, I will be going to Mardi Gras in a month to minister on the streets and then end the month with a walk to Emmaus. That is just the first two months! Wow!
Make a new space for God today, you won't regret it!

No comments: